Saturday, March 20, 2010

Can I be any more foolish than this?

Have you ever heard about people who get scammed by thieves who make ingenuous preys believe some far fetched story? I have too. One about a guy claiming to know a victim’s nephew and getting invited to come in, to later steal from the home while the hostess makes coffee comes to my mind right now. There are many though. I always felt sorry for the victims, but at the same time I thought it was extremely naive of them to fall for that kind of easy trick. Also I was inclined to assume it was all about credulous old ladies and shameless young men.

So old ladies, I am with you now. I got scammed. I would never have thought I could be so innocent to fall for these tricks. It is long before my fourth quarter of a century starts, and I am already fitting in.

Let me tell you how it was:

  • I leave the restaurant at 7.30 pm. Chose a place 3 blocks away from the hotel, to avoid walking long distances, and went early to avoid being out at late night hours. Being in a foreign country and warned about burglars, I have made myself turn quite precautious, yet I try to stay away from becoming paranoid.
  • Lady asks what time it is. I answer.
  • Lady asks how to get to point X of the city. I have no clue.
  • I suggest her to ask across the street, where there’s a store with local people that would probably be more useful for directions around the city than someone who has been in the city for 2 days.
  • Lady begins to show (or I begin to notice) some alteration signs… she is kind of shaky… she tells me that her purse was stolen and that she is in shock… that she has lost her orientation and has gotten lost.
  • I have no idea how to help her with her orientation, all I know is how to get from there to my hotel. I suggest her AGAIN to ask the locals across the street.
  • Lady sticks around though… saying she has no money and no purse and...
  • I suggest her to take a cab back home and pay the taxi when she gets there (she looked pretty well dressed, she must have a few dollars at home). Not an option, her keys were in her stolen purse and nobody is home to open the door.
  • I suggest her to take a taxi to a friend’s house and ask them to pay for the cab. She dismisses this option as well. (too expensive, no friends close by...)
  • anyone reading this chronicle is waiting for Lady to ask me for money anytime.
  • she asks me for what would be 5 dollars to take 2 busses home (you were right).
  • I’m doubting the veracity of the story but I give her the money anyway.
  • Now we are at the other corner, and she seems to realize where she is at and what bus she needs to take (orientation skills appear to be coming back to her).
  • I ask her where will she go (given that I see that she coulld take her two busses home, but the problem of the keys-being-in-her-stolen-bag remains)
  • She mumbles something i don't fully understand... but it involves a key hidden under a doormat.
  • Off she goes, giving me blessings, and recommending me to be cautious not to get my own bag stolen.

There were a few more words here and there and details that I am skipping for the sake of conciseness, but that is pretty much how it all went.

Ok, I’m convinced it was all fake. So why did I fall for it and gave her the money? Am I really so naïve?

Let me comment on one thing: I don’t care the slightest bit about the money I lost.
(5 dollars is not that much money to feel so bad about it).

It is the feeling of being ripped off like that disturbs me. Because… really… if someone steals you wallet (and this happened to me two months ago back in my own country) you may feel mad at yourself for not being careful enough but things are straight: the thief was mean and you were careless (if at all). And that’s the very nature of burglary.

Now… in this case… the thief was still mean… but she was also smart … and I was plain dumb. I was credulous, and I willingly gave her my money. And that is just wrong! it makes me feel guilty and stupid and lame… and I don’t like to feel stupid and lame.

Shame on me.

3 comments:

TheBigShowAtUD said...

you'd think a person that clever could find a legit way to earn money without preying on people.

MSQ said...

yes you would. but people like this will always exist. So in the end, I'm just angry at myself for being such a fool.
Somehow I tend to want to help people so if i'm made to choose between helping someone and risk being scammed and not ignoring them due to suspiciousness and risk not helping someone with a real problem... I tend to go for the first option. Which makes me likely to be a fool again the next time.

ina said...

I was in Copley and a young girl with a backpack (who seemed to be skipping school, may I add), asked me for money to take a train out to Providence. I asked her when the train was, where she was taking it from, and at what time it was. She answered all those questions in a credible manner. I gave her a $20 (that's what she needed to complete her ticket, she already had some bills in her hand). She seemed very surprised I would give her so much, she gave me a hug, asked me if I wanted her to repay me, I said no, and she went off on her merry way.
I called my husband. As soon as he picked up the phone, I said "I think I was just scammed out of $20. Please tell me that girl was for real" -- He's a lot more skeptical than I am, so he said I probably was the victim here.
I just don't think I could live with myself if the story was real and there was something I could have done to help. Now, THAT is naive.