Friday, February 5, 2010

Unaccompanied

As much as I'd like to say I'm a very sociable person, who is continually sorrounded by numerous friends whom she meets with often, that is not really the case. I have friends that I care for, but sometimes we go relatively long periods of time without seeing each other.
Most of the time, I'm either at work, or in the sole company of the SO. This company is more than enough for me. He is the single person that I prefer to be with in the whole world, and I never regret a minute spent at his side.

So now that I'm working abroad for a while, and I don't get to see him everyday, the likelihood of me spending long hours unaccompanied, has increased exponentially. I have met a bunch of really nice people lately, and I appreciate how receptive they all are, including me in their programs and inviting me to do stuff so that I don't find myself isolated and alone in my hotel room. I'm really thankful.
Still, there are times (and there will be more of them) when I find myself alone in a huge and rather intimidating city. Clearly, I would much rather be with the SO. Given that such is not an option, for now, I am finding that I am ok with being alone.
So far, I've tried to get a feel of the city and familiarize myself with the sorroundings. I've done some walking around, in search of quiet, friendly spots. I've stopped to get something to drink (generally in the fruit juice category) while reading a book (pic on the left). I've visited some of the "turistic" attractions of the city (even though this is more of a business city than a tourism one). I found that one the best feelings comes from just walking and exploring heading nowhere in particular. The good thing about that is that there is no risk of not getting to you destination!
Surely... all of this would be more enjoyable if there was someone to share those moments with me, but I'm not feeling sorry for myself. I will try to make the best out of it all.

1 comment:

ina said...

Heya! Sorry it took me so long to read your post -- are you still in that other city? I hope things picked up, let us know how it is going! ina